Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Mickey Mouse Birthday Party Comes Together


Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this blog.  My computer died and it was months before I could replace it and then holidays and my busy days have prevented me from getting back into the swing of things.  However, I wanted to let everyone know how my son’s birthday party came out.  First of all let me say you can plan, plan, and plan but be prepared to make last minute changes.  I bought hundreds of black balloons and rented a regular sized helium tank to make the large Mickey Mouse balloon arch but I had to scrap that idea because it was way too windy the arch would have stood a chance.  Then I had made these cute Mickey Mouse hand helper hands that would stick out of the ground to hold balloons.  The wind blow so much that the balloons kept hitting the grass and popping so I had to scrap that idea.  Thank goodness that by the time the party rolled around late that afternoon the wind had calmed down and I was able to put the table decorations out.  All in all the party was a huge success and Max loved his Mickey Mouse theme.  Tip number one; I hired a photographer to come and take photos of the party.  It was the best money spent.  I learned from his first birthday party that you get so tied up with the party that you forget to take pictures of everything.  Tip number two; I took the pictures from the party and uploaded them to Shutterfly and made a birthday picture book for Max.  We read this book and the first year’s birthday book just like we read his story books.  Max thinks it is so funny to read about him.  Tip number three; find a friend who could benefit from your decorations.  I gave all of my decorations to one of my good friends so that she may use it one year.  Recycling is a great thing.


Below is the final outcome.

Sample of the invitations that went out.
 

The below were the only balloons that made it up due to wind.  They marked the way to Max’s Clubhouse Party.


I surrounded the cake with candies for the kids to enjoy.  I brought out the chocolate covered items shown in a previous post once the kids started to leave to help prevent the chocolate from melting.



The back drop is just a piece of fabric with picture frames and Mickey Mouse heads.  The frames and the Mickey Mouse heads hang in my son’s bathroom and I just brought them out for the party to make the backdrop pop.  The frames came from Michaels for five dollars each.  I also got the circles from Michaels, painted them black and glued them together to look like a Mickey Mouse head.  I then cut my sons name out using sticky back foam and stuck the name to the heads.  I am lucky that my sons name is short but you could easily do this with your child’s initials.  The cake is sitting on a painted box that has round white stickers stuck to it.  I found the little frame while standing in line at Michael’s and had a friend of mine who owns a cricket out the letters and number on it.  I lucked up and found the little characters at the dollar tree (like I says your always looking) along with the suckers.  I created my own stickers and stuck them to punch outs and then glued the punch outs to the suckers.  Each candy represented a different character. 

We had Donald’s Dum Dums


 Pluto’s Applesauce
 
Minnie’s Rainbow Skittles
 
 
 
 
Pete’s Pixy Stix’s

Goofy’s Lollipops


Clarabelle’s Fruit Slices
The chocolate items were brought as guest started to leave so that they could take with them.  It was just to hot to leave outside during the party.
 

Next was the food table.
 
I covered the table with white tale covers and stuck Mickey Mouse heads to it.  I then made a table skirt with red, black, and yellow plastic table covers from the dollar store.  I knew that I wanted to do this but kept trying to figure out how I wanted to attach the skirt to the table.  I had seen where people did this and taped the skirt to the table and then let the top cover overhang and cover up the tape but I did not want that look so as I was walking around Wal-Mart one day I saw the greatest thing, Mickey Mouse duct tape.  Yep that is Mickey Mouse duct tape holding the table skirt in place, #alwayslooking.
Below was the center piece for the food table.

I looked everywhere for Mickey Mouse Birthday plates in the color theme that I wanted and could not find them.  I gave up and went with plain yellow plates, black napkins, red spoons, yellow forks, and red cups.  I rolled the spoon and forks in the black napkin and secured them with a band of red and yellow construction paper with a mini Mickey Mouse head punch out.

The bottled water was served out of the huge red buckets that I got at Wal-Mart for five dollars.  I attached extra-large white buttons to the front and a friend made me oval disk that I painted yellow.  The look is priceless.

And yes those are red and yellow straws with mini Mickey Mouse punch out glued to them.  And I put two white dots on every red cup to represent Mickey pants.
The total setup looked like this.

The water bottle labels that I created looked like this.
 

 
I printed them on card stock paper, cut them out and then took them to my local office supply store.  They ran them through the laminating machine for less than $5.00 for over 200 labels.  The store a use does so much by the foot.  I then used extra strength glue dots to wrap around the water bottles. 
Each food item was marked with a food tent.

The center piece below was on the kid’s activity table.  I bought Mickey Mouse clubhouse coloring books, activity books, and reading books for them to enjoy during the party.

Notice that I used black table clothes and the red Mickey Mouse runner that I made for the guest tables.
 


The gift table had the same table skirt as the food table and everyone was able to get them a set of ears to wear during the party.
 



And the gift table was placed under a tent that I had with Donald and Goofy watching over things.

I placed the banners that I made on all the post. And yes my husband and I wore Mickey Mouse apparel for the day.
 
The kids received tie-tied shirts along with cups, birthday music CD’s, bubbles, candy’s and the chocolate goodies to take home in these gift bags.
 
A few days after the party all guest received a special thank you from Max in the mail.
Just remember always look for things to use and it’s the small details that take your party from good to great.
 

 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment